Scandiano Municipality, the Cultural and International Relations departments have involved, in the organisation of Hugs not Drugs Project, several stakeholders who take part to the project’s coordination:
- Tresinaro-Secchia Union
- Social Cooperative Raptus
- Ausl Reggio Emilia SERT Scandiano
- Gobetti High School
- Istituti Comprensivi
- Places of Prevention RE
- CPS – Cooperative
- Municipality of Scandiano, International Relations
- Tresinaro-Secchia Union it’s composed by 6 Municipalities including Scandiano (the biggest Municipality), it has approx 80.000 inhabitants.
The Union’s competence are: Social Services, for youth, adult, disabled and elderly people, Local Police, Civil Protection, Human Resources, SIA Computer Services.
Some of these tasks are performed by the Union itself, some other are performed indirectly through the partner Municipalities. In particular the Municipality of Scandiano has been entrusted with the management of International Relations (and therefore EU projects), being the most experienced and having highly-skilled staff.
- Social Cooperative Raptus is active since 2010 with the management of 2 Youth Centre. It operates on the Scandiano’s territory on the subject of the struggle and/or prevention of risky behaviours and drugs abuse through the ‘Critic Style’ project with the objectives of educating to responsible consumption, and to provide and to form critical information, to promote the social and personal empowerment of young people, introducing knowledge, skills and ability to self protection and self promotion of health.
- SERT Pathological Addictions ServicesScandiano, based at Scandiano’s Hospital. The services deals with the prevention and treatment of pathological forms of Addictions. The service activities are divided in the following areas: – Medical – Nursing – Social Educational – Psychological – Alcohol Abuse – Prevention and Health Promotion.The service uses the collaboration of the volunteer association Anti-Drugs Citizens Committee of Reggio Emilia.It performs the following functions:
- Assistance and residential and semi-residential welcoming to persons with addiction to psychoactive substances,
- Care and rehabilitation from addiction to psychoactive substances,
- Care and rehabilitation from addiction to gambling
- Gobetti High School has 1300 students. It has enabled projects such as: – Health Education in collaboration with Places Of Prevention (Centre ref. Emilia Romagna Region), – Peer Education situations of education and comparison for students – Reading the Signs students, teachers and parents faced with the problem of drugs, in collaboration with CPS Social Prevention Centre of Reggio Emilia.
- Istituti Comprensivi M. M. Boiardo and A. Vallisneri include a two kindergartens, six primary schools, two secondary schools first level with 750 students, aged 11 to 14 years old.The school’s objectives on the theme of the project is to lead the boys and girls to self awareness and their full potential in order to do informed choices organizing training sessions with experts, psychologists and guided visits and workshop c/o Places of Prevention Spallanzani of Reggio Emilia.
- Places Of Prevention L.Spallanzani of Reggio Emilia is the reference centre of Emilia Romagna region for the Training of social-health workers on the themes of Health Promotion and Experimentation, the monitoring and the evaluation of innovative process of intervention (activity of Research-Action).
- CPS – Listening Centre, it is a cooperative that work for almost two decades in the prevention field of distress and the promotion of families and community welfare, by an agreement with the Municipality and the Province of Reggio Emilia.
- Scandiano Municipality Town Twinning and International Relations whit the collaboration of Europa Insieme Committee have tightened 3 town-twinning arrangements beginning from 1964 and it collaborates with different European countries. Since 2002 it is a member of SERN Sweden Emilia Romagna Network.It’s most important activity has been represented by the Europe For Citizens projects, especially actions 1.1 and 1.2. It’s engagement concerns various issues such as teachers, officers and social workers training, improvement of quality standards in PA, promotion of healthy nutrition at school and in the third age, CO2 emission reduction and environmental sustainability, youth entrepreneurship and much more.Furthermore it has got the approval on several projects in Community programmes as Grundvig, Leonardo and Comenius. www.europainsiemeweb.eu
Scandiano was founded in 1262 by Giberto Fogliani. Scandiano is one of the most populated Municipalities of Reggio Emilia Province, Emilia Romagna Region. It cover a total area of 50 km with a population of more than 25.000 inhabitants but it is also one of its most important economic centres. Its historical and artistic heritage marks this “small capital city” as one of the most interesting towns of the whole region. The town offers to the tourists also the possibility to visit its fascinating and characteristic churches.
The first documentations on Scandiano date back to Neolithic thanks to the celebre “Venere di Chiozza”, one small and enigmatic sculpture conserved to the Civic Museum of Reggio Emilia.
One of the most well-known monument is the Boiardo’s Fortress (Rocca del Boiardo), a medieval fortress (XIV century) where Matteo Maria Boiardo spent the last years of his life and wrote his famous epic poem “L’Orlando Innamorato”. This stronghold was originally constructed by the Da Fogliano family and was essentially designed as a military stronghold. With the rise to power of the Boiardo family (1423) the old fortress began to be turned into a noble residence.
Arceto Castel (950), La Torricella Castel of Ventoso (XIV century), Pieve S.Maria, S.Giuseppe Church (XVI century), Tower of the Clock are other peculiar places of Scandiano.
Scandiano’s history is characterised by the work of the scientists Antonio Vallisneri and Lazzaro Spallanzani. House Spallanzani, recently renovated by the Municipality, is the birthplace of the famous scientist Lazzaro Spallanzani (1729-1799). It is declared a national monument on 11 February 1984 and the building now houses the Municipality’s Culture, Sport and EU policies Department.
EXPOSITIONS – MANIFESTATIONS
Scandiano is an important pole of attraction for varied activity, it has a trade fair manifestations (wine and food fair- Electronic – San Giuseppe Agricultural, industrial and handcraft Fair)
The most important are:
MUNDUS: Music festival with artists and bands worldwide
FESTIVALOVE: in May, fall in love in Scandiano is an initiative that the City dedicate to the poem “Orlando Innamorato” by Matteo Maria Boiardo (Scandiano, 1441 – Reggio Emilia, 1494), suggesting a contemporary reinterpretation of the work in the various languages of music, theater, visual arts, artistic performances and installations
Palio of Angelica in Scandiano (RE) – September: Medieval historical event with parades in medieval costume, markets, gastronomy and games
Wine-gastronomy represents one of the excellences of our territory. Given the wide grape variety cultivated on the surrounding hills, wine production is one of the “vocations” of Scandiano’s area, as well as that of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Another traditional product is Balsamic vinegar that was already present in the culinary tradition of Reggio Emilia and Scandiano
- since 2006 Scandiano is a Slow City – International web of well living cities,
- since 2016 “City of Art” recognition by Emilia Romagna Region.
- Scandiano is part of ‘CERAMICA LAND’ of ceramic district, ceramic industry and furniture for hairdresser.
- Part of the circuit of Matilde’s Castel and “corti Reggiane” Reggio’s Court,
- Road of Wines and Flavours on the Scandiano and Canossa hills
- City of Wine “Città del Vino” – National Association.
Romano Prodi – European Commission President and ex-president of Council,
Luigi Ghirri – Photographer (1943 – 1992)