3rd meeting of Hugs Not Drugs Erasmus + Strategic Partnership School Education Project was held in Scandiano, Italy among 21-24 September, 2017. New strategies were discussed and 3 workshops were organized among the experts serving in the project. As project teams, we visited both preventive and rehabilation center and made a big experience to struggle bad habits in our areas.
Hugs not Drugs – Report 3rd international meeting
21-24 September 2017
Workshop 2 – “About family workbook”
The family workbook workshop was realized to let the Italian group gathering information valid for whole countries, to prepare the most effective book is possible going beyond the cultural and organizational differences of everyone.
The workshop has been created to gather the contributions of experts from different countries, collecting different ideas and common points of view in preventing addiction.
During the workshop the participants have been divided in 4 groups with different themes, in reference to family workbook target subjects .
Each group has been formed with at least 1 representative from the 4 different countries. At the end of the workshop the coordinator of each group explained the results of the work.
- Family’s role (Italy)
- Community’s role: school, territory and other educational agencies. (Turkey)
- Peers’ role: how peers help each other (Latvia)
- Who to contact in case of need? How can we approach this problem? (Portugal)
- Family’s role
If there are signals of the use of addictive substances it’s important to:
- Talk about the feelings. Talk peacefully with their own child.
- Work for a direct communication between parents and children.
- Inform teens about the risks, problems and the consequences of the addictive substances.
- Field relationships between parents and others educational figures ( teachers,sports coach, religious figures etc.). The collaboration between school and families/community.
- Find a balance between the sense of protection of the parents and the need of freedom of the teenagers.
- Parents must respect each other , so they must be an example for their children.
- Families must pay attention to the changes of their children behavior.
- There must be an education accord between parents (coherent behavior and agree in fronting specifically problems).
- In the family there should be sharing and exchanging moments, every day between each family component.
- Parents should keep a cosy attitude to their children.
- Organize and share activities of every family member, to favorite pleasant experiences lived together.
- Work on the formation of the children in sense of responsibility, dedication and reaching their tasks.
- Community’s role: school, territory and other educational agencies.
- To organize sport events
- To inform about the risks of drugs
- to make available a phone number to contact in case of need
- To promote parents associations
- To have psychologists and counselors in the schools
- To involve teachers in monitoring, observing and individuating the risks
- To create a bond between school, institutions, associations and local operators
- Peers’ role: how peers help each other
Peers can do important job of prevention against addiction approaching friends’ needs in the right way.
What to do?
- Working on the relation using positive messages.
- Participating to group activities (music, sports, theater etc.) to create stronger positive relationships.
- Promoting healthy life styles.
- Acting as a positive model.
- Learn to read risky signals and know which are the resources to activate in case of need.
- Who to contact in case of need
- To Create and to promote a phone line and a guide line to help to identify risky signals and to identify the resources to activate in case of need.
- To set up a network between local operators and healthcare services able to take care about the pathological addictions.
How to approach the problem:
- To share common lines to approach the problem between every educational agency, from operators to parents.
- To create a network alliance to answer the problems in the most effective and the quickest way.
Report Workshop 3- “About awareness campaign in schools”
The workshop was thought to elaborate new ways to carry on a communication campaign able to be effective during the second year of ‘Hugs Not Drugs’
It was required to the participants (divided in four groups as the workshop 2), to focus on how to communicate with the different target subjects of the project.
Each group was formed by different country representatives and coordinated by one of them. At the end of the workshop the coordinator of each group presented the result to all the audience.
Each group was given an aim to define tasks, strategies and ways to elaborate an efficient communication to the four target subjects.
- Families (Portugal)
- Students (Turkey)
- Teachers and schools (Latvia)
- Local Community (Italy)
In the workgroup it was elaborated a communication activity addressed to the families called “Family+”.
The campaign was addressed to the families of the pilot schools’ students, during a school year( from September to June).
The campaign was ideated in several points and it’s formed by a first informal part and a second formal part.
The formal activities , collocated on the first part of the schoolyear are:
- Distributing to the families flyers containing the work plane of the project Family+, contacts and useful information for taking part in it.
- Creating a mailing list to inform all parents up to the activities related to the project.
- Creating online platforms in which all parents could obtain information and they could contact experts.
- Creating a survey to inquire parents’ involvement about their children school activities and the time they spend with them ( to be repeated at the end of the school year to evaluate the changes).
- Organizing cultural and training activities to families and children to promote a healthy lifestyle and to create a contact between schools and parents.
- Promoting public discussions towards families about prevention and problem solving skills.
The formal activities , dedicated to the mainly involved families during the first period are:
- Creating specific formation paths for parents aimed to face emotive and behavioral changes of their children.
- Realizing videos with the collaboration of the families
- Creating a survey to evaluate the results
- Creating a network between all the local educational agencies to enlarge the collaboration.
- Creating an attendance certificate for the most active parents in “Family+” project. This certificate could be an Europass certificate to award their competences.
- Creating an award ceremony lead to the Institute coordinator and the municipality representatives (Mayor and/or Town Councilors).
The workgroup designed a communication strategy called “Stay healthy! Stay happy!”
It is divided in four principals actions to do during a school year:
Involving all the students on the research of information about risks and the effects of the addictive substances on organs (heart, liver , lungs etc).
Creating songs, draws and texts to be shown in schools’ aisles.
Methodology: involving peer educators (one or two per class)
Aim: to increase the awareness of the students about risks connected to addictive substances.
Monthly activities organized by the students during the break time (5-10 minutes)
Ex. Eat an apple, play a game.
Methodology: Involving peer educators. Students must decide de moments, the activities day by day. Events must be sponsored by social media, posters, WhatsApp groups etc.
Aim: Promoting healthy lifestyles.
The organization of a cross country race
Methodology: Involving of peer educators to organize the event
Aim: Promoting healthy lifestyles
At the end of the project the peer educators will be received from the mayor and a campaign to show the results will be settled up.
Methodology: Writing reports about the activities, newspaper articles , using web sites and local media.
Aim: to spread in the community the results of the project and to promote healthy lifestyles outside the school activities.
3- Teachers and Schools
Aim: to inform teachers on how to guide a prevention campaign in the best way.
The actions to do for obtaining this task are two:
- To use social medias..
- To use local media (tv, newsparer…).
- To use e-mails.
- To use the electronical register to communicate with other teachers, with families and students too.
- To organize meetings, conferences, courses, summer camps, theatrical activities, films, support of specialists.
- Specific activities in the pilot schools.
- To realize projects in local, national and international areas.
In the group it was decided to elaborate a communication campaign focused on the local community based on the realization of a contest for short films called “Life is beautiful with freedom”
Aim: Promoting positive life habits
The contest should be for short films ( maximum 5 minutes) and it should be opened to the widest range of participants (no restrictions about size and format of the videos).
The duration of contest should cover the period from October to June and contemplate a promotional campaign during the period of films gathering (from October to March). The last phase of valuation, award and distribution (from April to June).
How to promote the contest:
- Distributing flyers in public areas
- Local newspapers
- Local TVs
- Web sites/ social media
During this first period, to expand the potential basin of competitors, it should be useful to organize short courses of video making and mounting for those who aren’t able to mount a video on their own.
The valuation phase forecasts the formation of a judge commission which can decide the best three videos.
The commission should be composed by the following figures:
- A prevention expert who can judge the message (psychologist, educator, psychiatrist…)
- An actor/director who is able to judge the technics skills.
- The mayor / administrators
- The local coordinator of the project
The best three videos will be published and distributed through different ways:
- Public projections in the schools dedicated to students and /or families followed by a public debate with the experts
- Projection in local cinemas before the main film
- Projections on the electronic billboards during local events (sport, parties …)
- The publication on web sites and social medias of the project and its local partners.
The winner should be awarded with a prize stablished by the local commission based on the opportunities of each country ( money, professional courses of video making ,discounts for technological purchase…) and it will be donated to the other partners to be projected on international scale.